Monday, November 26, 2007

The Monster has come to the surface

Just in case you're wondering, this is what 2,500 2 1/2" squares looks like all sewn together in a random order. In only ONE spot do 2 fabrics the same touch. I'm impressed with the size and that fact. I didn't try to do anything except make sure the fabric didn't touch but it happened in the middle when I was joining the 2 big pieces together. I think I can live with it. Didn't Mel do a great job with the baptist fans????





Now when you are ordering widebacks online, or any fabric for that matter, you really need to pay attention to what you are doing. No talking on the phone, no trying to multi task, because when you don't you get this:




Nice huh?? I THOUGHT I ordered black with dots- but I didn't and since it goes against the bed I told Mel just to use it.





This morning was spent putting the binding on this and cutting 10 1/2" squares for backings out. I'm on my third fabric of 10. I might get 4 or 5 done today and then after dinner -the fun begins. I'm going to start cutting the fabric for my rug frame. Which after almost 2 months I FINALLY have gotten it ready to go. I'm so excited - Carole swears it a huge stash buster and that's just what I need right now. As I cut my backing squares, I'm also trying to cut at least one 2 1/2" strip for future projects.Click on scrap control on Carole's blog on the right.

5 comments:

Finn said...

Hi kim, love your MONSTER *VBS* What a fun and colorful quilt! And I actually think I like this backing better than black.
Your pineapple blocks are looking gorgeous and inspiring me to start another one!! Maybe just get all that 3.5" stuff cut first...I hate cutting the light squares!
What a treasure you got from quilting pirate..scraps are such fun...LOL
And last but not least, I have a flat santa for you. Please drop me an email at Finn922000@yahoo.com and give me your snail mail addy. I'll get one off to you this week..sorry it will be just one, as there were quite a few requests. Hugs, Finn

The Calico Cat said...

I am about to start to cut out some of those 10.5 inch squares - for the long & narrow quilt that I pieced this past long weekend.

Mel said...

Glad you are getting around to binding it. Sorry I didn't leave lots at the top. :( The Monster is big, I know. LOL

*karendianne. said...

WOW! Now that is really something to see.

I've never done a pieced backing. I'll have to watch how you work all this together.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Kim, that's a great quilt. And I like that back. Why do you not like it? It's PINK how could you not?? Only thing better would be RED.